Still Here! Still Pregnant!

Posted on Updated on

Guys.

Unacceptable, I know.

It has been forever and a day since I’ve blogged, which is something I am in the process of correcting.

Today is just a little note saying “hi!  Don’t forget about me!”  And to update you briefly on a few things, bullet-point styles:

I’m sitting (uncomfortably) at 38 weeks + 2 days pregnant.  Which, if you remember from my 34-week pregnancy update, is just outside the cusp of when my midwife predicted I’d go into labour.  Sooooo…. any minute now??  Hello?  Bueller??

– The IKEA dresser is done!  HUZZAH!  It still smells like an IKEA dresser – which is to say, not great – so I have to find a way to make the drawers baby-clothes friendly before I load them up.  Any tips??

– Bee is doing so great.  She’s growing smarter by the second, and just the other day crawled onto my lap, lifted my shirt and screamed at my belly, “BABY!  COME OUT NOW!”  I wonder where she got that from… heh…

– We’re getting a new car!  Upgrading our Forester to a new model that is super safe and will make me much more comfortable in when driving around 2 small children, especially with a potentially crazy winter looming….

– During this writers block funk, I have actually done a bit of writing!  PercyVites, a super fun website that allows you and your child to create 3D video greetings, recently asked me to contribute a piece to their blog, PercyViews!  My first time contributing to another site!!  I had to do it!  And of course I had to think of something that was relevant to my life at the moment, so I wrote a short bit on preparing your toddler for the new baby!  Here’s the link, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it 🙂

– In not so exciting news now: we had a bit of a scare.  Again.  At my 37-week positioning ultrasound last Friday, to make sure that Pelé is head down – the tech picked up that my amniotic fluid levels were on the very low side of normal.  Still within the normal range, but just kinda super low.  UGH.  Since then I have had two other scans, the first measured the levels the same as the previous one.  Which, my midwife said, would mean if it dropped any lower, would mean I would have to be induced.  Totally not on my birth plan.  But thankfully, yesterday’s showed that the levels had gone up!  I have no clue why or how that happened, but it means no induction!  Well, for now.  I go back next week for a follow-up ultrasound to make sure they haven’t dropped again…. but I’m really hoping I have this kid on my own before then.

– I’ve decided to put #ASKAMAMA Monday on a bit of a hiatus as we prepare for this baby to arrive.  I LOVE doing them – it’s so much fun getting to know different Mamas and seeing what kind of questions come in for them to tackle – and having a soft deadline for myself has been really great for my spirits.  Being a SAHM has been something I’ve struggled with a bit, so pushing myself to get the videos out every Monday has made me feel really good.  Even though, yes, I know I still owe you all the last from Kat Armstrong!   And I am slowly working on it!  Unfortunately this writing funk has spilled over into an editing funk, but I’m working on it!  I really am!!

So, yep.  That’s about it for now!  I’m starting to feel the tingles back in my fingers, and will be back on this bandwagon for reals, real soon.

And in the meantime, here’s a super cute picture of Bee givin’ the bump some love for you all to enjoy.

IMG_3325

6 thoughts on “Still Here! Still Pregnant!

Lolo said:
    September 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

I have been having low-normal amniotic fluid levels since my week 32 u/s (I am now 37+5). While it is a bit anxious making going every week to check, it is reassuring to know they are on top of it and monitoring the baby and me closely. I have already been told I will not carry to term and have two dates for induction depending on the results of my next u/s. The upside is that I get to see my baby every week and fall a little bit more in love each time. Good luck with your last few days, can’t wait to hear how it all turns out

mamabethbarnes responded:
      September 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

Isn’t it kind of amazing to see them turn into like, an actual BABY with each scan?? Yesterday we saw him yawn and rub his eyes 🙂 Amazing. I’m of two minds of the weekly ultrasounds: on one hand, I’m reassured we live in a society where we’re able to monitor these things carefully. Fluid levels aren’t the sort of thing you want to mess with. But then I think that it can lead to more unnecessary stress: the scan yesterday also showed that there was a decrease in flow of blood to the brain(!!!!!!), but the doctor and my midwife both say that in a normal sized baby, which Pelé is, it could mean nothing. BUT, that’s another reason we’re going in again next week. To check that level, too. Ugh. In your case though, it sounds like the more monitoring the better! I’m glad you’re going to get to meet your LO so soon!! You must be getting so excited! Are you all ready?!?

Lolo said:
        September 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm

In the beginning of these weekly ultrasounds, I would get so worked up half way through I would have to sit up to not pass out. Now that I know the staff so well, it is definitely better. It can be scary when they say things like ‘oh the baby isn’t moving or breathing’ but I have learned that I have to trust my baby’s own patterns and know that if I need to go for a Non Stress Test to check it out I can. It would be hard to hear that there is a decrease of blood flow, but it seems Pelé will be just fine. Isn’t it great to have a medical team that your trust to reassure you in these situations? I am definitely not ready, so it is a good thing I am on mat leave starting next week. The only thing in the baby’s room is an Ikea dresser-which surprisingly doesn’t smell like Ikea. I am very lucky to have a lot of hand me downs from my sister, so I will spending the next few days sorting gear and clothes in prep for the arrival.

nburnie said:
    September 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

Beth, I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you and little Pele were doing. As a new mama who went 40 weeks & 1 day, I totally know how you’re feeling. But as you know, it’s all worth it in the end. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

PS – Little Carson Crawford was born on August 19 at a whopping 9 lbs 10 oz! I can’t believe it’s been almost a month already 🙂

mamabethbarnes responded:
      September 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Nicole! I was just talking about you the other day with Eden! We were wondering how you were doing, and whether you’d had the baby or not 🙂 How exciting, huge congratulations! And holy MOLY! That’s a big boy!! Good on you, mama!! Yes, all worth it in the end. And I can practically FEEL the finish line… I’m just SO ready to cross it. I’m ready for this baby to be here and in our arms 🙂 Can’t wait to introduce him to you all!

Meagan said:
    September 17, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Oh, funks. Funk you, funk! is what I say. 🙂 Been quietly following your blog for a bit and just thought I’d pop in and finally say “hi”! Really good luck in the next few weeks!! Can’t wait to hear the news. 🙂