How To Do A Polished Mom/Messy Bun!

Posted on

I was asked over the holidays if I would do a tutorial on how to do the bun I wear practically every single day of my life because Lord knows I never have time to do anything else with it so it’s really the only way people ever see me, is with this bun.

Seriously.  It might look fancy and difficult, but it truly isn’t.  Hence, why I wear it most days.

I was incredibly flattered when asked to do this video, because, like I said, I really do wear it like this most days, so to be complimented on it and asked how it was done, was a really lovely feeling!

And so, I have happily obliged!

In this video, I show you the (embarrassingly) super simple steps on how I do it.

There are a few things you’ll need.  Literally, just a few:

• a hair elastic – every Mama with longer hair has at least a bajillion hair elastics, I’m sure of it.
  • bobby pins – after practicing a few times you’ll only need like, five.  So if you don’t have any, go digging through your couch or pockets (like I do some days) and find some.  Or pick some up at the drug store.  Whatever’s easiest!
  • a texturizing spray/dry shampoo – they’re… essentially, the same thing?  I don’t know.  Someone told me that once.  I use Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, which sounds like it’s those two things in one.  I’m not super educated on hair sprays and such, so if you are an expert in the field I’d love to know if I’m sounding like I know what I’m talking about….
  • hairspray – I use the classic Elnett from L’oreal.  You can get this anywhere, it’s really good stuff.  I use the unscented kind because my husband used the scented stuff for a while during the first trimester I was pregnant with Li’l Bee.  And, dude.  The smell of that shit made me yak.  He changed it to the unscented pretty quickly.

Okay!  Next step is to watch the video!

I hope you guys enjoy it!  Hopefully I’ll be doing another hair tutorial in the not-so-distant-future, this time on how to use a curling wand.

I’m a woman of many talents, I… guess?

8 thoughts on “How To Do A Polished Mom/Messy Bun!

Marie Logan said:
    January 19, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Your hair is seriously amazing. I’ve tried this and end up looking less ‘polished’ and more, shall we say, ‘crazy’.

mamabethbarnes said:
      January 20, 2014 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Marie! But seriously, practice, practice, practice! I’m telling you, if I can do it, anyone can. I promise. I have never been a “hair” person, which I guess isn’t fair in a way. This ridiculous bun has saved me, in a way! It’s still super easy (once you get the hang of it), AND looks super fancy! Little will everyone know that it took two seconds to do. Mwahahahaha!

Mindy said:
    January 20, 2014 at 10:36 am

Honestly, does anyone in the world not love you!
    You are so funny and wonderful on this blog! and in real life
    Love following you and your fam this way!

mamabethbarnes said:
      January 20, 2014 at 10:54 am

Mindy, you’re too sweet! I’m so happy you’re enjoying it and get to follow along 🙂 And I can’t wait until we get to see you guys again… I’ll totally do a write-up on your rambunctious clan!

Mindy said:
        January 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Ekk, I’ve sworn off alcohol since the last hawkins gathering in Ottawa. This mama doesn’t get enough party practice to hold all that champagne!

thefreezeclinic said:
    January 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks! I will try to get my bun looking better tomorrow because my “mom bun” looks more like a day-old bagel.

Anneliese said:
    January 28, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I’m convinced this only works when you have as much hair as you do Buff! xo

mamabethbarnes said: